The whole business of hair loss due to shock really bothers me. Is this loss ever permanent?

Question: I want hair transplants and have been saving for the procedure, but the whole business of hair loss due to shock really bothers me. Is this loss ever permanent?

Answer: Shock loss, which is loss of native hair follicles adjacent to transplanted hair, is typically a temporary phenomenon that most patients do not experience. It is due to stress on the existing hair follicles from trauma, swelling, and decreased blood supply when additional hairs are added to an area. If shock loss occurs, patients will typically recover after a few months. Some surgeons recommend use of finasteride (Propecia) around the time of hair transplantation to minimize shock loss. Shock loss is almost never permanent.

  • Share: